Thursday, September 24, 2009

U.S. Closes Embassy Temporarily

U.S. closes embassy in South Africa after 'possible threat'
U.S. Embassy in South Africa
Five days before my trip, and I find out that the U.S. Embassy in South Africa was closed on Tuesday due to a "threat". This is not what I want to hear days before I travel. Nevertheless I won't allow the idea of living in fear of another U.S. attack to prevent me from venturing into new areas. I also won't be working for a U.S. organization which might help to make me less of a target. And I'll try to speak as little as possible, or in Jamaican patois (when necessary I convert my American accent into a Jamaican accent--yes I'm bilingual), so that my accent doesn't give me away. Last year when I visited South Africa, I often made trips to the Hyatt Regency for spa treatments (they were much cheaper than what I ever could afford in the U.S.). Whenever I would call for a cab from my friend's home to the hotel, I would ask the person how much the trip would cost. However, on the way back from the Hyatt to my friend's home--using the same route--I would be charged double the price (go figure). One day I struck up a conversation with the driver taking me to the Hyatt. He immediately knew that I was American. I had been visiting South Africa for approximately two weeks at that point and was hoping that I was starting to blend in as a native. Disappointed by my ability to disguise myself, I decided to ask the driver what gave me away. South Africans are very trendy people and do not dress in African garb, so I was okay on that end, for those who believe that all Africans are dark-skinned (yes I know that notion may sound ignorant to some but there are those who believe this) they are not--they come in all shades including lighter than me. The driver informed me that he formerly worked for the South African version of the CIA and his job was to determine people's nationalities from their speech. What gave me away was the way I said hello. Apparently Americans say hello and emphasize each syllable--HEL(breath)LO. South Africans on the other hand, say (take deep breath) HELLO--sort of how Madea says hello without the ER at the end.On my way back from the hotel, I tested the driver's information. I said hello to the driver and said nothing else for the remainder of the drive. I handed him the same amount of rand that it cost me to get to the hotel, and he accepted it with a smile and a wink. Needless to say, I've been working on my hello.

1 comment:

  1. Cute. Real cute. I'm gonna remember that and practice my "hello" too.

    ReplyDelete