Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My First Blog---Preparing to Leave

Welcome to my blog!

I have never blogged before, but I promised my 11th grade English teacher that I would create a blog to track the next three months of my adventures in South Africa. This means that I need you guys to ensure that my grammar and punctuation are on point, so that I don't disappoint her.

I am also a very private person so I'm a bit uncomfortable with writing things that will go out into the "blogosphere." I wonder if there's a way to limit who can read these things? Until I figure out whether it can be done, don't expect this blog to consist of personal and intimate journal entries. Now on to the important stuff!


In exactly 6 days, I will be boarding a plane headed to Johannesburg, South Africa for the second time in my life. I believe that everyone should visit some part of Africa at least once in their lifetime, and I will be lucky to say that I have visited it twice. While I'm there, I will work for a non-profit organization, putting my $150k legal education to good use. I also hope to take the time to take deep breaths and reflect on my life and create some personal growth. Throughout my time in Africa I will track my adventures through this blog, for my family and friends to know that I'm doing okay and to appease the curiosity of one of my favorite English teachers.

Although my blog is titled "Marsha's South Africa Adventure" I am far from being an adventurous person. But I welcome challenges and feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I do something outside my narrow box. I am a bit nervous because I have never been outside of the country for more than 3 weeks, since I moved to the U.S. as a little girl. South Africa is also known to be a dangerous place. However, I promised myself that I will not let my fears (and the fears of my mother) hold me back from taking risks in life. And as I near the age of 30, my goal is to step out of the box more and more. When else will I have time to live in another country for an extended period of time?

Being an avid procrastinator, I still have so much to do before I leave. I have to get medicine from the travel clinic, I need to pack and then remove half of what I think I need to bring. I have a list that seems like a mile long. Now, that I have created a blog it can be checked off the list.

3 comments:

  1. Things to consider:

    - SA puts sugar or some sweetener in some of its foods and condiments. Therefore, if you prefer the salty taste of American ketchup, then bring some with you. Also take grits!!! They just didn't have it in Cape Town.

    - Oh remember to get an electrical outlet converter. Just in case you take your laptop or another electronic device with you.

    - It's approaching spring time over there, but still take a light jacket and a couple sweaters.

    If I think of more things, I'll hit you with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so looking forward to the many entries!

    ReplyDelete