Wednesday, September 23, 2009

6 Days to Go...

I am still procrastinating (as always) but slowly making progress on preparing myself to leave. I have an eye doctor's appointment and will get my shots and traveling medications tomorrow. I'm also going to hang out with my friends for a final celebration before my departure. There are tons of things to do in DC this weekend. It happens to be Georgetown homecoming as well as CBC weekend. That means there will be parties, parties, parties.





It is ironic that CBC weekend is occurring the right before I leave. Although I've lived in DC for many years, I have not attended many CBC events. It has become the who's who of DC politics and high society, and for the young professionals, it's a reason to party hard, while wearing a suit and pretending to be "professional".


In a country so rich with some of the smartest, and most influential African-Americans, one would think that an event such as CBC would be an avenue for these black professionals and politicians to come together to discuss ways to make a huge impact in improving the African-American community as well as the entire African diaspora. Instead, most people who come into DC for the weekend are interested in knowing who's holding the best party (according to my friend who sent me a 7-page spreadsheet list of events, the Black Party is the party to attend this year) which club will have the best drink specials, and maybe they'll bring their business cards so that they can give their number out in a professional manner.


Black leaders could utilize CBC forums to put their heads together and come up with solutions to why African-American men continue to be the largest group behind bars, or figure out a way to convince African leaders that there is an HIV/AIDS pandemic killing their citizens, or how to increase the number of black-owned businesses. Rather, CBC weekend has become yet another reason for African-Americans to get together in our nation's capital, rub shoulders with the DuBois Talented Tenth, and leave DC having accomplished very little in terms of improving the black community.


I would be curious to know what others think. Now that we have a black president, do you think that foundations such as the Congressional Black Caucus have a greater duty to impact the black community?

2 comments:

  1. There is such an event - the Constituency for Africa hosts the Ronald H Brown African Affairs Series every year during CBC week. It honors former President Clinton's African-America Secretary of Commerce by continuing his legacy of engagement with the Continent. Many members (besides Congressman Payne from the SubCommittee on African Affairs) participate in some of the events and roundtable discussions they have. Marsha you may be intersted in attending the AfriGala tomorrow,9/24. I am going after my class ends at 9pm. It goes until 11pm. Ironically, the The Honorable J. L. Mahlangu, Minister of the Department of Economic Development, Environment and Tourism of SOUTH AFRICA will be speaking. It will be a good fact-finding mission for you. Anyway, I just wanted to comment that there are some Africa-oriented events going on this week, as well as the usual festivities. I will send you the invite...it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha,

    Amen! I too never really participated in CBC events for the very same reasons. This year, riding off of the high of Obama's historic run, I am going to attempt to find an event (not party - but it's a plus if alcohol is served)where I can meet like-minded people,so I can see where I can make some change. Send me your lists...

    Joanne

    ReplyDelete