Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cape Town Day 1

My time here seems to be coming to an end faster than I would like.  I can’t believe that I am over half way through my visit.  I would be remiss if I didn’t explore areas of South Africa that I have never visited before I departed.  I planned to take this trip with a friend who planned on visiting from the States.  But when those plans fell through, I decided to challenge myself yet again and venture to Cape Town on my own.  With my camera, maps, and tom tom in tow, I flew to Cape Town  (one hour flight from Jo’burg), rented a car and hit the N2 to the City Bowl area where I spent the next four days.


my car for the week   

                                                               map and tom tom in tow
                                       (yes my car is a manual--most cars in South Africa are)




As I drove from the airport to the apartment, I noticed areas with zinc homes.  The downside of traveling by myself is that it was difficult to keep my eye on the road and shift gears and trying to take pictures while driving (I do not advise anyone to try this). It was raining when I arrived, so I decided to forego my attempt to take pictures of the township so that I didn’t end up causing an accident immediately after arriving. 

I rented a beautiful flat (they call it self-catering apartment) twenty minutes from the airport, near the central business district (CBD) and central to many of the main attractions that Cape Town has to offer.  I was worried about the quality of the flat when I arrived because I chose it online and th price was very inexpensive. However, when I arrived and Jason showed me around, I was relieved at how nice the flat actually was.  The one bedroom, one and a half bathroom flat was the equivalent of a penthouse loft in the U.S.  It was fully equipped with microwave, dishes, dishwasher, white linen, etc.  Though I had no plans of cooking, it allowed me to really feel at home.  Cape Town’s weather is very rainy during the summer months causing quite a lot of cloud coverage.The living room contained a beautiful sliding glass window that opened up to a balcony with a gorgeous view of the mountains, including the famous Table Mountain and Lion's Head Mountain. 





Thus, it was difficult to see the top of the mountain, and I realized very quickly that I might not get the opportunity to take advantage of the swimming pool.




view from the balcony and the clouds covering the top of table mountain


A bit tired after waking up very early to catch my 7:00am flight, I took a nap shortly after arriving and woke up hungry.  I decided to head to a nearby hotel (called the Diamond Hotel) with a small restaurant and internet access.  I asked for a slice of cheesecake to go and I learned very quickly after being here that you should not walk on the street with take-away term used for carry-out) in your hand.  The Central Business District was quiet because it was Sunday and many of the stores were closed.  However, there were a few people hanging around on the street.  As I made my way back to the apartment, two ladies (missing their front teeth) approached me quickly yelling that the take away in my hand was for them.  A bit nervous,  quickly assessed the situation and determined that if I handed over the cheesecake with no hesitation, they may decide to ask me for money and next, they might be pulling at my purse.  Unwilling to easily part with my slice of cheesecake I stepped off the sidewalk and into the street while firmly telling them that it was not for them.  They insisted that I give it to them and I made my voice louder, and the look in my face a bit more firm and said, "No!"  They caught the hint the second time and backed off asking me where I was from and telling me that they liked my accent.  I told them I was from Jo’burg (saying I am American might have caused them to chase after me for my coveted slice of cheesecake and I was not wearing appropriate shoes to make a run for it).  When I ate the cheesecake later on, it was not very appetizing.  I took a couple bites and decided to throw it out.  But I didn't regret not parting with it.


the infamous cheesecake

The flat was also equipped with a flat screen t.v.  I had been without t.v. access since I arrived in South Africa so I  thought I would take advantage of the rainy evening and the opportunity to see what types of programs were popular.  I am not really a t.v. watcher when I am home and generally keep my t.v. on CNN watching the repeated programs the same way that some men appreciate watching ESPN.  To my dismay, the programs they showed depicted Americans in a very negative light (I'm not saying that this was done purposely, I believe t.v. lacks quality programs).  There was a bridezilla marathon where brides vented their frustration and anger on their family members and grooms. After one episode I thought my time would better spend continuing to get through reading The Known World.













No comments:

Post a Comment